Wednesday, November 28, 2007

some things never change

When my father wanted to fix something he would take his right foot and give it a swift kick. That was the good ole days where everything had mechancial components to make it work not like today where you have more computer inside a washing machine than NASA had in the 60's. A swift kick just doesn't seem to work anymore.

I recently purchased a brand new high definition 65 inch wide screen TV. What a fantastic picture and I even purchased a new entertainment cabinet just to hold it. After less than 3 months it stopped working. It refused to turn on. I thought about what my Dad would have done and of course he would of given it a swift kick but I couldn't not on this super high def 1080i/p with integrated digital tuning. So I read the manual and proceeded down the troubleshooting path. After some amateur diagnosis I determine there was a bulb that had possibly gone bad. Fortunately for me the unit was under warranty. I called the 800 number and after a few minutes of waiting I spoke to a service representative and proceeded to inform him of the details of the problem. Before I could say send me a new bulb for the TV he asked me to go to the back of the TV and open a small door that contained a small cage housing the bad bulb. He said many times the mercury sticks in the bulb and it needs a little kick to move it along. I didn't know mercury could stick but I did what he asked me to do and he patiently walked through the process of removing the bulb. After I removed it he asked me to bang it lightly with my hand on the cage a few times and then re-install the bulb and the door. After I finished banging the bulb and replacing it I proceeded to turn on the TV and lo and behold the TV magically worked.

I guess some things never change. My Dad would be proud to know that a swift kick still works.

No comments: