Sunday, December 16, 2007

Immigrants Pledge

While many immigrants can not stay here nor can they leave here kind of stuck in a political limbo riddled with government inaction. As our government and nation wrestle with the immigration issue I advise immigrants to make a pledge so Americans can see that the majority are hard working, GOD-loving, and family value based people.

With all the mud slinging going on in this debate most Americans do not know what to beleive. Do they pay taxes? Do they want to learn English? Are they the reason for overcrowding of our schools? Should we also blame them for our health-care crisis? And the list goes on. Are these valid gripes or just diversionary tactics used by our government and interest groups to sway our focus away from the real pressing issues of the day.

Shifting blame also seems to be an agenda item for those that feed the media distribution network. I believe immigrants, regardless of documentation, want the same things all people, inlcuding Americans want which include safe neighborhoods, able employment, good schools, freedom to worship, freedom to work hard, and freedom to love. To that end I am propsoing an Immigrant's Pledge to be given by immigrants to the American People as a symbol of his/her respect for this country and the desire to make a better place for all that are here and coming.


Immigrants Pledge


As a visitor and awaiting the road map to legal status I remain an immigrant in this great country. While I am here I pledge the following:
  1. Pay any and all taxes due respective governments as any citizen is required.
  2. Make any and all efforts to assimilate into the US culture while maintaining my individual and ethnic identity
  3. Obey and honor all laws in effect
  4. I pledge I am not wanted by law enforcement or am I a refugee of the law in any other country
  5. Do all I can to quickly and effectively learn the English language
  6. Willing, and if, able to serve in the armed forces of this great country and inspire my children to do in kind
  7. Make every effort possible my children go to school, stay in school, and learn in school to have the best possible chance to be a productive member of society.
  8. Work as hard as I can to achieve the dream many Americans have before them and now I
  9. Believe in one Almighty GOD
  10. Make America proud of me with its legacy on immigration

Signed ______________________ Date ___________________

No comments: